The world needs more readers. But we'll start with Nottingham first and work our way up.

Our lively, friendly reading group meets on a Tuesday at 7pm every month in the back room at Edin's bistro, Broad Street (opposite the Broadway cinema).

Sometimes we like the book of the month. Sometimes we hate it. Usually we end up ranting about completely random subjects.

Why not join us?

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

May 2012 - The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht

Hope you've been enjoying the fine weather! Personally I hate the sunshine as it means I have to close all the curtains so I can still see my computer screen.

Last month's reading group meeting saw us snubbing the sun in favour of the back room in Edin's where we discussed The Tiger's Wife.  I think generally we were in agreement that although many bits of it were wonderful, overall it seemed needlessly confusing and hard going. Personally I hated that the author was a year younger than me. (Boo, down with successful people younger than me. Boo!) I notice this year's Orange Prize winner (and, I guess, final one as Orange are dropping their sponsorship) was announced yesterday, Madeline Miller with her debut novel The Song of Achilles.  There's one for us to potentially do once the paperback comes out.

In June we're denying the summer months even more by doing Snowdrops by Andrew Miller.  See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment